Friday, July 18, 2008

Home Base

My parents raised me in Mindanao --- the Land of Promise. If you ask where's my place specifically? I'll answer you these:

1. City of Waterfalls --- Indeed, it has 23 waterfalls with 8 springs + 15 caves if you love spelunking. Oh well, not to forget our pride: Timoga Spring Pools.

2. Industrial City of the South --- You can find 12 manufacturing plants varying its products from food to steel.

3. Center of Excellence in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics --- It is where Mindanao State University-Iligan Institue of Technology is situated. It was acknowledged as one of the best universities in Philippines.

Technically speaking, Iligan is about 800 kilometers southeast of Manila. You can reach the place by plane via Cagayan de Oro city or a vessel from major ports like Manila and Cebu. Iligan is very rich in culture, and the living proof: existence of cultural minorities. Much to my surprise, "kalesa" is still used as a mode of transportation up to this time. I am also gratified to see people with different faith live in this place harmoniously. Most of the Iliganons are Roman Catholic, they patronize Saint Michael the Archangel and celebrates a lavish festival every 29th day of September.

I am contented with the kind of life I have here in Iligan. The standard of living is not costly. I don't enjoy nightlife that much so I guess I really suit here. I love nature of which Iligan is so blessed with it. I have visited most of the renowed waterfalls, I have climbed up to Mt. Agad-agad, done spelunking with my co-marshals during the adventure race, enjoyed summer time at the spring pools and so much more. You can also find the ancestral home of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo near the spot of Timoga where you'll surely enjoy the icy-cold and crystal-clear flowing spring pools.



I have had a joyous childhood memories here in Iligan. No matter where my fate will bring me hereafter; sure enough that my mind, heart and soul will find its way home and get a rest to a place called -Iligan.

No comments: