Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beautiful But Deadly

T'was one Tuesday morning when I rushed my way to the hospital for a patient's visit but ended up bumping with my duty mates on the hallway. I was shocked with the GOOD news they're bringing, we're not gonna have our duty. I was grinning for the reason that I can now escape the long strictly handwritten requirements. But suddenly, our clinical instructor appeared and has decided to do a journal sharing and one-on-one checking of our day 1 requirements. Oh well, this is it, in exchange for no duty is another cavalry.

As one of my duty mates is sharing about anticholinergic drugs, I opened my borrowed pharmacology book to the desired page and as I went through, I have read somethin' about belladonna a.k.a. deadly nightshade.


Atropa belladona


The article tickled me because of the funny fact that ages ago, it was used by some women to dilate their pupils --- to look more attractive and innocent. Hahaha! I couldn't believe that these women were vain too. Oh vanity, one of my favorite sin!

But this time, the use of belladona in cosmetics are banned due to the following side effects: minor visual disturbances, increased heart rate and if it is used chronically, it may cause blindness.

So girls, may this be a good warning for us. Sounds so funny but it really can cause serious consequences. It makes me think that it's really good to be natural.

No comments: